Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Good Samaritan

Last night was very cold, it snowed a bit, and I don't have a car, I ride the bus usually, and it made me think.

I got out of work early, and thought my boyfriend was going to pick me up, alot of people lent me their phones so I could call him to find out if he was or when he was, so I could make sure I wasn't stranded. It turned out I was lucky I called because I did need to ride the bus home, there had been some miscommunication (I was running on 2 hours of sleep) and he needed to go home to Saginaw. So I rode back to campus. Now, it was very very cold last night, and the bus ride from campus to my apartment is a pain, so on the way I dropped by my old dorm thinking "Well, I would give a friend a ride if it was cold and they didnt want to take a bus, why wouldn't one of my friends do the same for me." Apparently I think too highly of humanity, which I already knew. The lobby was filled with my friends, several of whom had cars, most of whom know im willing to give gas money if im given a ride somewhere. Especially if that somewhere is out of their way and for no reason of theirs. No one obliged. I didnt really think I needed to wave cash in their faces, how uncouth?!

So I walked away, mentioned briefly how i could have given them a little cash or compensation, and headed toward the bus stop, and a sweet girl came out of the woodworks to offer me a ride. She gave me a ride home, she was a freshman, first semester in the dorms. I offered her a few dollars and she refused to take it. But I left it with her anyway-- it was just the cash I had on me, I would have given her a little more, and kind of wish I had asked her if we could have gone by Exxon so I could have filled her tank at least half for giving me a ride on such a cold night. I don't really know her, but I'll give her something small for the holidays.

I was just so shocked that a girl I didn't even know offered to help me, but several of my friends who were hardly studying just mocked me when I was standing there asking for a ride kindly-- in a situation where I would have helped them. I guess I know who my true friends are.

Miele

No comments: